PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA)— A man is dead after a shooting at a youth sports park in Zephyrhills, authorities said.
The shooting happened in the parking lot of the Samuel Pasco Athletic Park on Saturday afternoon, around 12:57 p.m. The shooter fled the scene, and is believed to be in a white four-door sedan.
Police said a man was killed, but no other injuries were reported.
On Sunday, with permission from his family, the sheriff’s office identified the victim as Carl Branch, 32, of Ft. Myers.
Police believe the shooting was not a random act of violence, but a motive for the shooting remains under investigation.
The sheriff’s office is working to determine the exact number of people in the suspect vehicle at the time of the shooting.
Below is a statement from the Wiregrass Youth Football team:
We understand that there was an incident at Sam Pasco field today, involving a shooting which may or may not have been during a youth football game. We the Wiregrass Lions nor any team a part of the Pasco Athletic League were involved in that event but we send our prayers to any and all families that were involved in that tragic situation.”
Those with information regarding the incident are asked to call 911.
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Student, bus driver killed in school bus crash in Tennessee
- Trump campaign says website briefly ‘defaced’
- It’s a hoax: Facebook post offers free Chick-fil-A gift basket
- Deputies searching for suspect following shooting in Safety Harbor