ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA)– A St. Petersburg resident learned the hard way why it’s not a good idea to leave your keys in your car with the car running.
St. Petersburg Police Department investigators say just before 7 a.m. on Friday, a vehicle owner started his car and went inside briefly to grab his coffee in the 1900 block of 53rd St. N.
When he went back outside, he saw that three teens had stolen his Camry.
The teens did not make it far with the stolen car. Police say they drove over an unoccupied car that was parked about a block away.
The teens ran away from the stolen car after the crash. A police officer spotted them a few blocks away and arrested them.
Police say two of the teens are 15 years old and the other is 16. All three are charged with Grand Theft Auto.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club
- AMBER Alert issued for Madison boy, 7
- Boy missing in Coconut Creek, AMBER Alert issued
- Family killed in triple murder followed by suicide
- Man shot and killed in Clearwater identified
- Pit bull puppy recovers after severe chemical burns
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines