GROVELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – Despite clear and calm skies, something went wrong with a hang gliding activity in Groveland, Florida.
One person died as a result of the accident near the Small Sheets Airfield around 2:00 p.m. Saturday.
Investigators with the NTSB said a tow rope broke while the glider was in flight – causing it to crash.
When first responders arrived at the crash site they found the victim suffering from a heart attack. The victim died a short time later.
Saturday’s deadly accident is the second to happen at the Quest Air Hang Gliding Flight Center in recent years.
Investigators said a similar accident killed a hang glider in 2013.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Float party in St. Pete Beach proceeds, despite protest
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- PHOTOS: Lakeland Police Fallen Heroes Memorial Inaugural 5K Run
- Burger Showdown takes over Curtis Hixon Park
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines