WASHINGTON (AP) – The National Park Service is shutting down public access to the Washington Monument until Jan. 24, citing threats surrounding Joe Biden’s inauguration.
The agency said Monday that it was implementing the temporary closure “in response to credible threats to visitors and park resources.”
Park officials say that groups involved in last week’s riot at the U.S. Capitol are continuing to “threaten to disrupt” Biden’s inauguration on Jan. 20. As a result, officials are shutting down tours at the Washington Monument beginning Monday, running through Jan. 24.
They say they may also institute some temporary closures to roads, parking areas and restrooms on the National Mall and could extend the closures “if the conditions persist.”
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prince Harry says he contemplated quitting royal life several times in his 20s
- Purrfect rescue: Kitten found encased in spray foam at Missouri internet provider facility
- Tampa high school students give back to Gold Star mother
- Country’s largest supermarket operator to continue requiring masks following new CDC guidance
- WATCH: Manatee swims around group of canoers near Fort DeSoto Park