WARNING: Man tries lighting pilot light, house explodes

National

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — A man was seriously injured after a house exploded in a Dayton neighborhood early Thursday.

It happened just after 1 a.m. Thursday.

Fire officials say a man was trying to light a pilot light on his water heater when the gas exploded. The house caught fire after the explosion, causing the roof to collapse.

The man was seriously injured. Medics took him to Miami Valley Hospital.

Three other people inside the house were able to escape without injury. They planned to stay with a neighbor. Fire officials say Red Cross would not be called to the scene.

Fire crews had to let the house burn, attacking the fire from the outside, due to the roof collapse. Vectren was called to shut off the gas before crews could finally contain the fire.

Firefighters sprayed water on a neighboring house to prevent the fire from spreading.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss