(WJW) – Walmart will no longer sell “All Lives Matter” merchandise on its website.
The nation’s largest retailer is removing the items which are sold by third-party sellers after hearing concerns from some employees and customers.
The backlash erupted on social media, where people criticized the company for allegedly “mocking” the Black Lives Matter movement, which has come to symbolize a call to action against racism and police killings of Black people.
“We fundamentally believe all lives do matter and every individual deserves respect,” Walmart said in a statement. “However, as we listened, we came to understand that the way some, but not all, people are using the phrase ‘All Lives Matter’ in the current environment intentionally minimized the focus on the painful reality of racial inequity.”
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Pres. Thomas Jefferson through the eyes of his Black descendants
- Goggle-wearing trio of dogs hikes Nevada trails
- Bruno the Bear makes it to Missouri on interstate trek
- Tropical Depression 5 forms west of Bermuda
- Much of US scales back on holiday, but Trump plans to go big