(NBC) – Police dash camera video captured the incredible moment a Michigan officer saved a choking baby while the child’s family watched from a front lawn.
The 3-week-old girl was choking when Officer Cameron Maciejewski arrived at the scene.
Dash cam video shows the frantic mother handing her infant to the officer. He stayed calm and flipped the baby onto her stomach to deliver a few back blows.
The baby then started crying, indicating that she was breathing again.
The family had called police Thursday after the infant choked and lost consciousness while drinking milk from her bottle.
The Sterling Heights police chief said Officer Maciejewski is a hero.
“If it wasn’t for Officer Maciejewski’s quick, calm, lifesaving actions, the outcome of this incident could have been tragically different,” the department said in a statement. “Not only did the officer save the baby, but the officer did an outstanding job consoling the family.”
Paramedics took the baby to a hospital for evaluation.
- 2 hospitalized after Tampa barbershop shooting, suspect facing aggravated battery charges
- St. Petersburg churches hold community block party against gun violence
- More than 60 people vaccinated through Tampa’s ‘Vaccy and Vacay’ campaign geared towards Gen Z
- Hemingway Look-Alike Contest returns to Florida Keys
- Police find missing 13-year-old girl from Tarpon Springs