(NBC) – Police dash camera video captured the incredible moment a Michigan officer saved a choking baby while the child’s family watched from a front lawn.
The 3-week-old girl was choking when Officer Cameron Maciejewski arrived at the scene.
Dash cam video shows the frantic mother handing her infant to the officer. He stayed calm and flipped the baby onto her stomach to deliver a few back blows.
The baby then started crying, indicating that she was breathing again.
The family had called police Thursday after the infant choked and lost consciousness while drinking milk from her bottle.
The Sterling Heights police chief said Officer Maciejewski is a hero.
“If it wasn’t for Officer Maciejewski’s quick, calm, lifesaving actions, the outcome of this incident could have been tragically different,” the department said in a statement. “Not only did the officer save the baby, but the officer did an outstanding job consoling the family.”
Paramedics took the baby to a hospital for evaluation.
- Thanksgiving eve not as brisk for business in St. Petersburg in 2020
- Land O’ Lakes man charged in fatal 2019 Christmas Eve crash that killed 3 women
- 13-year-old killed in Pasco County ATV crash
- Crisis Center says family stress is increasing domestic violence calls
- Orlando detectives investigate kidnapping, sexual battery case in Sarasota