TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Twitter “inadvertently” used phone numbers and email addresses to target ads to users.
The company made the announcement in a blog post Tuesday.
Users provided their emails and numbers for account security purposes.
The Federal Trade Commission fined Facebook $5 billion this year after saying it broke the law by doing something similar.
Twitter said it’s unclear how many people were impacted. The social media giant said no personal data was shared externally.
It’s unclear if Twitter broke any laws or if the FTC will also hold the company accountable.
- Olympic gold medalist from Clearwater hoping to qualify for 2020 Olympic Games
- Search underway for suspect in Polk County double homicide
- Pedophile who abused up to 200 children found dead in prison
- Lay’s introduces grilled cheese and tomato soup flavored chips
- Ex-officer charged with murder after firing into window, killing Texas woman