(AP) – President Donald Trump, in a video message, is urging supporters to “go home” but is also keeping up false attacks about the presidential election.
The video was issued more than two hours after protesters began storming the Capitol on Wednesday as lawmakers convened for an extraordinary joint session to confirm the Electoral College results and President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.
Trump opened his video, saying, “I know your pain. I know your hurt. But you have to go home now.”
He also went on to call the supporters “very special.” He also said, “we can’t play into the hands of these people. We have to have peace. So go home. We love you. You’re very special.”
Trump later tweeted that “These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!”
Republican lawmakers and previous administration officials had begged Trump to give a statement to his supporters to quell the violence. The statement came as authorities struggled to take control of a chaotic situation at the Capitol that led to the evacuation of lawmakers.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- US Marshal’s wrong door arrest attempt creates mental health concerns for young Bradenton mother
- Feeding Tampa Bay opens first empowerment center to serve Pinellas County
- ‘Sex crime’ misdemeanor complaint filed against Andrew Cuomo
- Photo: Coast Guard rescues man from sinking vessel in Tampa Bay
- Missing woman’s body found in Plant City wooded area