SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (CNN) — President Donald Trump thinks Colin Kaepernick should get another shot in the NFL — but only if he can play well.
Trump said Kaepernick’s football future should be based on ability.
The quarterback has been without an NFL contract since 2017.
Kaepernick alleges the NFL is keeping him from playing because he spurred a movement to kneel during the national anthem to protest racism and police brutality.
The NFL has recently admitted it was wrong not to listen to player concerns on those topics.
Trump said he was disappointed in that statement, and everyone should show respect for the flag and national anthem.
MORE TOP STORIES
- Study: Why do some kids contract MIS-C rather than severe COVID?
- Sen. Rick Scott: Biden administration known for ‘open borders, closed schools’
- Deputies investigating Manatee commissioner’s involvement with exclusive vaccine event, unaffiliated lawyer says jail time is possible
- Good Samaritan hand delivers lost wallet to Florida woman’s home
- 1 in 6 Gen Zers identify as LGBT: Gallup poll