TOKYO (WFLA/NBC) – Tokyo’s newest giant panda has officially been named Xiang Xiang.
The Tokyo Metropolitan government announced the name Monday afternoon. It means she-young she-young.
Man than 322,000 names were submitted with Xiang Xiang proposed more than 5,000 times.
A committee narrowed down the most popular names.
The name follows a tradition of two-word repeating names. The panda’s mother is Shin Shin and its father is named Ri Ri.
A tourist association affiliated with the zoo said the name was both “cute and suitable.”STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 2 Bucs players kneel during national anthem, co-chairman releases statement
- Private contractor killed in Siesta Key after touching live powerline
- Officials: 1 dead, 7 victims hurt in church shooting
- Search underway for endangered woman after empty car found on Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- Man killed in Clearwater jet ski crash identified, 4-year-old girl remains in critical condition
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers react to President Trump’s comments on NFL players
- A guide to FEMA aid for Hurricane Irma victims