IOWA CITY, Iowa (WHO TV) – A new study by the University of Iowa is shedding light on what age experts say it is OK to leave your kids home alone.
A survey of 500 social workers found most of them agreed kids should be at least 12 years old before they are left alone for four hours or more.
The majority of social workers surveyed felt it would be considered neglect if the child was 10 or younger. However, that is only as long as there were no injuries and no state laws on the topic. Iowa does not have a minimum age law determining if a child can be left home alone. Experts say that every child is different and they advise parents to talk with their pediatricians.
Read more about the study here.
- US nears China’s virus death toll as New York calls for help
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Scattered showers overnight with cold front
- Attorneys: Arrest of Tampa pastor who led packed services was ‘unconstitutional’
- Bill proposed provides protection for student veterans
- China reports 1 death and 48 new coronavirus cases, no new domestic cases