AKRON, Ohio (AP) — An 8-year-old girl was shot and killed during a backyard birthday party for a teenager at an Ohio home, authorities said.
Akron police said several shots were fired shortly before midnight Friday in the Sherbondy Hill neighborhood.
Police said 8-year-old was found wounded and was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital, where she later died, police said. Authorities identified her Saturday as Mikayla Pickett.
The resident said he was hosting a party for his 15-year-old grandson when three or four people apparently showed up and opened fire.
No arrests were immediately announced.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Second stimulus checks: How negotiations went from optimistic to ugly
- Driver suspected of dragging, killing California bicyclist in 2017 is captured in Australia
- Texas early voting exceeds total of all 2016 ballots
- Tiger at Tennessee zoo tests positive for coronavirus
- Florida early voting site closed after workers get coronavirus