WILSON, N.C. (AP) — More than $700,000 has been raised for the funeral service of a slain 5-year-old boy in North Carolina whose death has captured national attention.
The donations poured into a GoFundMe page organized by Gwen Hinnant, who identifies herself on the website as Cannon Hinnant’s grandmother.
Cannon’s funeral was held Thursday, days after the boy was fatally shot in the family’s driveway as he rode his bike.
A neighbor has been charged with first-degree murder in his death.
Some have taken to social media to claim that race was a factor in Cannon’s death.
Police warned Friday about false information circulating on social media about the case.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- White House COVID-19 response team to hold briefing as US approval of J&J vaccine nears
- LIVE: House expected to approve $1.9T virus relief bill
- FHP: Deputy, driver injured in Tampa crash
- Manatee County begins scheduling 7,650 vaccine appointments with new automated system
- American Airlines jet has close encounter with unidentified flying object