WILSON, N.C. (AP) — More than $700,000 has been raised for the funeral service of a slain 5-year-old boy in North Carolina whose death has captured national attention.
The donations poured into a GoFundMe page organized by Gwen Hinnant, who identifies herself on the website as Cannon Hinnant’s grandmother.
Cannon’s funeral was held Thursday, days after the boy was fatally shot in the family’s driveway as he rode his bike.
A neighbor has been charged with first-degree murder in his death.
Some have taken to social media to claim that race was a factor in Cannon’s death.
Police warned Friday about false information circulating on social media about the case.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Florida firefighter suspended for partying after testing positive for COVID-19
- Pasco school district investigating claims that cheerleader was forced to kneel during anthem
- Beloved student-athlete in Manatee County killed in crash, driver facing DUI manslaughter charge
- Who gets your money? Pasco County man upset after purchasing campaign swag from unofficial website
- Two-thirds of Americans suffer from election anxiety – here’s what can help