(CNN) – President Donald Trump considered the idea of selling Puerto Rico in 2017, according to the New York Times who recently spoke with the former acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke.
Duke said Trump put the idea forward after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria.
She told the paper that Trump approached the disaster as a “businessman” and asked if the US could divest it.
Duke says the idea was never seriously considered of discussed.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- 1 dead after apartment fire in Lake Wales
- Volunteer seriously injured by tiger at Big Cat Rescue undergoing surgery, arm broken in 3 places
- California monolith pops up after finds in Utah, Romania
- Buccaneers confident they will rebound, finish season strong
- Grady Judd, Ashley Moody reveal ‘major’ multi-state retail crime spree