COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina mother who skipped the trial where she was convicted of homicide by child abuse for throwing two of her newborns away in trash bags moments after they born will spend 40 years in prison.
Alyssa Dayvault’s sentence was handed down Thursday. She turned herself in the day after her trial ended.
The 32-year-old mother hid her pregnancies in 2017 and 2018 from everyone, including her boyfriend and her mother, gave birth at her North Myrtle Beach home alone then put the newborns into trash bags and threw them away.
Dayvault cried and apologized to her family, saying she never meant to harm anyone and made a horrible mistake.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Florida inspector general report finds long-established problems with state unemployment system
- FEMA walk-up vaccine site in Tampa gets high marks from patients, no line at end of day
- Georgia could make porch theft a felony; critics decry move
- Capitol Police request 2-month extension of National Guard at US Capitol
- Illinois family grieving loss attributed to ‘COVID psychosis’