CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey hospital says a kidney meant for one patient was mistakenly transplanted into another with the same name who was farther down the priority list.
Virtua Health says the Nov. 18 operation on a 51-year-old patient at Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden. was successful.
But officials then discovered the patient was given the kidney out of priority order because “unusually, the individual who should have received the organ has the same name and is of similar age.”
Virtua Health says the error was reported to state health officials and the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network.
The patient who should have received the kidney also underwent a successful transplant on Nov. 24.
Officials say steps have been taken to prevent it from happening again.
- Target Black Friday deals: Final week of discounts released
- Hampton Roads native looking toward Tokyo Olympics; focusing on mental game during pandemic
- Public health expert: ‘Prudent decision’ to postpone Tampa’s Gasparilla festivities during coronavirus surge
- Search underway for missing endangered 77-year-old Sebring woman
- Former Tampa Bay bank robber meets detective after she changed his life, 28 years later