(CNN) – The Home Depot is changing its rope sales practices after nooses were found hanging in one of its North Carolina stores.
Home Depot released a statement saying it is appalled by the incident.
It’s the latest in a series of similar incidents at its stores in recent years.
The company has now decided to sell shorter, pre-cut lengths of rope instead of rope wrapped on large spools.
Nooses are widely regarded as a threatening symbol of racism and hatred. It is particularly relevant as businesses and institutions across the country are currently engaged conversations about systemic racism.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Missouri mayor defends concerts, parties during COVID-19 pandemic
- Florida man buys Porsche, Rolex with fake check printed from home computer, deputies say
- Bioluminescent waves glow in the dark at California beach
- Trump says more Americans will be lost to coronavirus
- Clearwater police bust teens accused of trying to steal a car during a department softball game