CINCINNATI, Ohio (WFLA) – World-famous hippo “Fiona” will be celebrating her birthday in January, and the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is holding a virtual fundraiser to celebrate.
“Float4Fiona” will celebrate Fiona’s fourth birthday with a splash.
According to the zoo, the event is a slow-paced race, where hundreds of numbered apples will splash into an enclosure and float to the finish line. If you’ve ever participated or seen a rubber duck race, this may sound familiar.
The owner of the winning apple and three guests will get to meet Fiona.
However, you don’t have to be in Ohio to support the zoo, apples can be purchased online. The first place prize winner can also choose a virtual hippo chat with a custom-made “hippo kiss” painting.
Second, third and fourth place winners will also receive a “Fiona kiss” painting.
Apples can be purchased for $5 or a four-pack for $16.
The zoo says all proceeds will go to its emergency operating fund, which was established after closing in 2020 due to the ongoing pandemic.
The event will be live-streamed on Facebook before the zoo’s opening if you want to join the fun.
Fiona the hippo was born prematurely in 2017 at just 29 pounds and is now thriving… and an internet sensation.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Felix Silla, Cousin Itt on TV’s ‘Addams Family,’ dies at 84
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Scattered showers Sunday; widespread heavy rain likely Monday & Tuesday in Tampa
- 1 killed in Omaha mall shooting that sends shoppers running
- US, China agree to cooperate on climate crisis with urgency
- Founder of Adobe and developer of PDFs dies at age 81