(CNN) – The Food and Drug Administration is authorizing two new forms of coronavirus tests.
Like some previous tests, they look for antibodies that indicate a person has been infected at some point. But, they go a step further and try to measure the quantity of those antibodies.
Researchers want to use that data to study potential immunity in people who’ve had COVID-19. But, they say patients with coronavirus antibodies should not assume they can’t get COVID-19 again.
Antibody tests also aren’t the same as tests that determine whether a person is currently infected.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Brosseau’s leadoff HR sparks Rays in 8-2 rout of Red Sox
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Scattered downpours develop this afternoon
- Tampa youth soccer coach remembered after battle with COVID-19
- 9-year-old boy rescued after falling into creek
- Second stimulus checks: Why $1,200 payments aren’t expected in August