(CNN) – The US will have a three-digit suicide hotline within two years.
The Federal Communications Commission is authorizing 988 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.
Right now, callers have to dial a 10-digit number.
At least one FCC commissioner laments that the new hotline won’t allow for texting.
Suicide is a growing public health concern as Americans grapple with the pandemic, the economy and civil unrest.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Harry, Meghan to delve into tough royal split with Oprah Sunday night
- Michigan makes homeless people vaccine-eligible
- Cuomo defiant as top New York lawmakers call on him to quit
- At least 20 dead, 600 wounded in Equatorial Guinea blasts
- Florida coronavirus: 4,098 new cases, 63 new deaths reported Sunday