The manager of wrestling legend Chyna said the star died from an overdose of prescribed medications. The manager told NBC News Chyna overdosed on Ambien and Valium.
“She accidentally and unintentionally misused her legally prescribed medication over the course of 2-3 weeks. It’s an epidemic,” the manager, Anthony Anzaldo, told NBC.
Chyna was found dead last week.
Police in Southern California said they were responding to a 911 call from a friend of the former World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler when they found her in her Redondo Beach apartment.
A friend had gone Wednesday to check on Chyna, whose real name is Joan Marie Laurer, after she had failed to answer her phone for a few days, Redondo Beach police said in a statement. The friend told the 911 operator that Laurer wasn’t breathing.
The 46-year-old Laurer was dead when officers arrived, police said.
Neither police nor coroner’s officials have released any cause of death. An autopsy was planned in the next few days.
Laurer billed herself as the “9th Wonder of the World” because her wrestling predecessor Andre the Giant had already called himself the eighth.
She was a member of the wrestling squad that dubbed itself “D-Generation X,” often wrestled against men and at one point was the WWE women’s champion. After leaving the WWE in 2001, Laurer posed for Playboy and appeared in adult films and on reality TV, including the shows “The Surreal Life” and “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.”
A statement posted Wednesday night on her website reads, “Today we lost a true icon, a real life superhero. Joanie Laurer aka Chyna, the 9th Wonder of the World has passed away. She will live forever in the memories of her millions of fans and all of us that loved her.”
Laurer was a native of Rochester, New York, and graduated from the University of Tampa in Florida before taking up wrestling.
She joins a long list of WWE professional wrestlers who have died relatively young, including Rick Rude, Curt “Mr. Perfect” Hennig, the Ultimate Warrior and Owen Hart.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Half-bearded man arrested in Miami
- Chyna’s manager says she died from accidental overdose of prescriptions
- Dozens of citations doled out since decriminalization of marijuana in Tampa
- Beyonce slays at tour opening, offers no insight into album
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- Hamburger buns stored next to toilet at Checkers restaurant
- Florida manatee gives birth to rare set of twins
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines