SOMERSET, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California sheriff’s deputy has been shot to death while responding to a call in the rural Sierra Nevada foothills.
The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office says Deputy Brian Ishmael was fatally shot early Wednesday in the community of Somerset and a that ride-along passenger with him was injured.
A statement from the sheriff’s office says two men were detained and that a large contingent of law enforcement officers and a helicopter remained at the scene in about 45 miles (72 kilometers) east of Sacramento.
The statement provided no details about how the events unfolded.
The deputy was a four-year veteran of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office and previously worked for Placerville Police Department.
- Leigh’s runcast: Steamy days make it harder to keep your body at a safe temp
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: High humidity and above average temps
- ‘Olympic athletes are dying:’ Doc sheds light on suicide among Olympians
- Meadows 2 hits in return from coronavirus, Rays top Red Sox 5-1
- Missouri mayor defends concerts, parties during COVID-19 pandemic