(CNN) – For the first time ever, American household debt has nearly topped the $14 trillion mark.
The New York Federal Reserve says US household debt climbed 0.7 percent last quarter to $13.96 trillion. That’s the 21st straight quarterly increase.
The numbers show that households are taking advantage of cheap borrowing opportunities driven by the Federal Reserve.
The previous record was $12.7 trillion in 2008’s third quarter.
The reserve also says US student outstanding debt climbed by $20 billion during the quarter to $1.5 billion.
- Reddit users reveal what they won’t do — ever again — in a post-pandemic world
- Brady tops 600 career TD passes, Buccaneers rout Bears 38-3
- Photos: Lego unveils largest Lego Ideas set ever with 3,955-piece ‘Home Alone’ home recreation
- MUST SEE: Tom Brady gives hat to boy who ‘beat brain cancer’ during Bucs-Bears game
- Why has Halloween become so popular among adults?