(CNN) – AMC, the world’s largest movie theater chain, says it will reopen 140 more movie theaters by Friday.
That means that 70 percent of the company’s theaters, or 420 in total, will be open by this holiday weekend as Americans observe Labor Day.
The news comes ahead of the US release of “Tenet,” one of the first big movies to hit theaters since the pandemic struck.
The film’s international debut was last weekend.
Other major theater chains have been opening up as well, while facing the challenge of attracting audiences without any major releases.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- At least 12 people killed in multi-vehicle crash in California
- Missing Child Alert issued for Pasco County boy, 14
- Publix sales skyrocket $4.6 billion due to coronavirus pandemic
- South Tampa residents concerned local food pantry is doing more harm than good
- Read the full transcript of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ State of the State address