CHICAGO (AP) — Fourteen people, including five children, were killed as more than 100 people were shot in a wave of gunfire in Chicago over Father’s Day weekend.
Those shootings produced the city’s highest number of shooting victims in a single weekend this year.
Among the victims was a 3-year-old boy, who police said was struck and killed by gunfire Saturday as he was in a car with his father in the south Austin neighborhood.
Police Superintendent David Brown says police are working to track down those responsible for the violence in several Chicago communities.
He says “gangs, guns and drugs” are the common thread in the shootings.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Increasing humidity ahead of a weekend cold front
- Family members of couple killed in downtown St. Petersburg want intersection improvements
- CDC investigating woman’s death after Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- Tampa woman nearly loses homeowner’s insurance over faulty county-owned sidewalk
- Crew-2 launch: When and how to watch NASA, SpaceX send crewed mission to ISS Friday