TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A mysterious streak in the sky made the morning a little more exciting for commuters in Tampa Bay on Thursday.
A number of people reported seeing something strange slowly traveling across the sky around 6:30 a.m.
Despite how it looks, it’s not aliens, or an explosion.
The Atlas V rocket lifted off from Canaveral Air Force Station at 6:13 a.m., carrying a communications satellite for the U.S. Air Force.
The launch created a shining, billowing streak that was widely seen throughout Tampa Bay Thursday morning.
Viewers called WFLA to speculate the rocket had exploded, but the United Launch Alliance said the rocket is currently traveling through space.
We hope to have an update on WFLA.com once the rocket completes its six-hour mission.
- Chinese city reports coronavirus found on ice cream
- Pasco County adds 4 vaccination clinics for residents 65+; registration opens at 2 p.m. Sunday
- Harris to be sworn in by Justice Sotomayor at inauguration
- Coast Guard helps rescue woman, 2 dogs from boat taking on water near Shell Key
- Dr. Dre back home after reported brain aneurysm treatment