TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A mysterious streak in the sky made the morning a little more exciting for commuters in Tampa Bay on Thursday.
A number of people reported seeing something strange slowly traveling across the sky around 6:30 a.m.
Despite how it looks, it’s not aliens, or an explosion.
The Atlas V rocket lifted off from Canaveral Air Force Station at 6:13 a.m., carrying a communications satellite for the U.S. Air Force.
The launch created a shining, billowing streak that was widely seen throughout Tampa Bay Thursday morning.
Viewers called WFLA to speculate the rocket had exploded, but the United Launch Alliance said the rocket is currently traveling through space.
We hope to have an update on WFLA.com once the rocket completes its six-hour mission.
- Emergency room doctor sleeping in RV to keep his family healthy
- Toddler killed, 2 children injured in Polk County crash
- San Diego County to issue $1,000 fines to people ignoring COVID-19 restrictions
- How to make a homemade face mask, with or without sewing
- Cardboard cutouts pose as guests for wedding amid COVID-19