TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A mysterious streak in the sky made the morning a little more exciting for commuters in Tampa Bay on Thursday.
A number of people reported seeing something strange slowly traveling across the sky around 6:30 a.m.
Despite how it looks, it’s not aliens, or an explosion.
The Atlas V rocket lifted off from Canaveral Air Force Station at 6:13 a.m., carrying a communications satellite for the U.S. Air Force.
The launch created a shining, billowing streak that was widely seen throughout Tampa Bay Thursday morning.
Viewers called WFLA to speculate the rocket had exploded, but the United Launch Alliance said the rocket is currently traveling through space.
We hope to have an update on WFLA.com once the rocket completes its six-hour mission.
- Thunberg slams Davos elites on climate as Trump takes stage
- 16-year-old driver dies after crashing into light pole in Tampa
- 49ers Katie Sowers to be first woman coach in Super Bowl history
- Buried treasure comes to life through historic pirate artifacts at Tampa Bay History Center
- Cold weather shelters to open again Tuesday