ORLANDO, FL (WESH) — The Orange County medical examiner has confirmed greater Orlando’s first death from a dangerous street drug known as “the super pill.”
People think they’re getting a prescription pill like oxycodone or Xanax, but they find out too late they have a deadly imposter.
“I’ve seen it online a couple times. Who would have thought it would happen here?” asked Brandon Williams, who said he was stunned his neighbor was Orange County’s first known victim of dangerous imposter pills being sold on the street as commonly used prescription drugs. “People need to be more aware of what they’re taking these days.”
Orange County Fire Rescue responded early Dec. 31 to a South Orange County home where 36-year-old Gustavo Aviles Rosado’s wife found him on the couch not breathing. CPR could not save him.
A detective found a small bag containing what looked like two oxycodone pills in Rosado’s wallet.
The medical examiner said the pills were not oxycodone, but a deadly imposter made out of fentanyl, a narcotic described as being 100 times more powerful than morphine.
“They look identical to prescription drugs like oxycodone, but they’re a completely counterfeit pill,” said Dr. Joshua Stephany, medical examiner for Orange and Osceola counties.
Stephany said the pills were tested after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement sent out a warning about people dying from imposter pills sold as prescription medication such as Xanax and oxycodone.
FDLE officials also urged people to only take prescription pills purchased from licensed pharmacies.MORE ON THE DEADLY “SUPER PILL”:
- Former drug addict worries about deadly, cheap new super pill
- Recovery experts worry ‘super pill’ could have devastating effect on addicts
- Doctors warn parents about teens using ‘super pill’ at pharming parties
- Super pill spreads after Pinellas origins
OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES PEOPLE ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: Contract worker allegedly hits family’s dogs with wrench
- Cops: Too much music, masturbation caused man to vandalize Largo home
- Mother to give her side of the story in crash that killed 3 teens
- Man accused of using home as a torture chamber
- Man dies after taking ‘super pill’ street drug
- Woman accused of offering sex for $3 to covert cop
- Man killed at Plant City gas station
- Naked man arrested for making threats while watering his lawn
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines