DISNEY SPRINGS, Fla. (WFLA) – The shopping experience at Walt Disney World first opened in the 1970s as the Lake Buena Vista shopping village. It then became the Walt Disney World shopping village, and eventually Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney.
The area is now getting a major makeover and a new theme. The new title is Disney Springs.
“It celebrates the natural environment of Florida, that there was a Florida natural spring. Settlers came and they loved it so much they built all of these wonderful neighborhoods that you now see as part of Disney Springs,” Disney Ambassador Caitlin Busscher said.
Disney Springs will include new shops and dining experiences.
“At the Marketplace, which opens this summer, we are going to be opening a host of wonderful high-end shopping experiences. So, if you have a thing for name brands, Kate Spade, Tommy Bahama, Vera Bradley, I mean there are so many places you can go so just make sure you are ready for a full day of excitement and shopping,” Busscher said.
Also new for the summer will be the “River of Light” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and a new Frozen experience at EPCOT.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Florida man who killed wife, kids had history of domestic violence, records show
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines