TAMPA (WFLA) — Westbound traffic was turned around Sunday on the Gandy Bridge after a distracted driver clipped the back end of a Florida Highway Patrol vehicle stopped on the side of the road.
The crash backed up westbound traffic traffic on the Gandy Bridge all the way back to the Tampa side. Because of the length of the delay, officials decided to turn traffic completely around to get off the bridge.
FHP said the woman that initiated the crash was looking down at her GPS and when she looked up, she was too close to the patrol car to avoid hitting it. The trooper was stopped on the side of the road assisting a disabled vehicle.
After the woman hit the patrol car, her vehicle overturned in the road.
No one sustained more than minor injuries.
- GOP targets ballot drop boxes in Georgia, Florida, elsewhere
- Tom Brady expects to be ready for Buccaneers minicamp after knee surgery
- Deputies seek possible witness to fatal shooting outside Tampa 7-Eleven
- Maggie and the Moms on “bad- influence friends”, pushing kids to be the best and more “mom hacks”
- “Manatee Man” talks helping manatees and how we can all pitch in