TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – The Sunshine Skyway Bridge was closed due to severe weather on Thursday.
The Florida Highway Patrol said troopers shut down the bridge around 3 p.m. due to high winds that exceeded 40 miles per hour, and asked motorists to find alternative routes.
The bridge reopened around 1:30 a.m. Friday.
Severe thunderstorms hit the Tampa Bay area overnight, arriving in Citrus County around 8 p.m., and in the Tampa area around 11 p.m.
A woman was hospitalized after a tree fell onto her home in Pasco County. Another person was injured after a tree hit their home in Seminole. And a crane collapsed onto Interstate 275 in Tampa, but no injuries were reported.
This is a developing story, please check back for updates.
- Clearwater police searching for missing, possibly endangered teen
- Woman stabs boyfriend on I-4 then runs in front of truck and dies, deputies say
- Florida coronavirus: Positivity rate remains steady as state surpasses 700,000 total cases
- Michael Vick working to clear way for Fla. ex-felons to vote
- Lightning fans wake up hopeful after game 5 loss