VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) — Two men escaped injuries when their airplane became fully engulfed while sitting on the Venice Airport runway Sunday afternoon.
According to a spokesperson for the city of Venice, both men were aboard a Piper PA-32 Cherokee 6 on runway five at the Venice Municipal Airport around 1 p.m. Before takeoff, the pilot smelled smoke and directed the two of them out of the plane.
The six-seater plane became fully engulfed in flames shortly afterward, and multiple rescue crews responded to the scene.
Both occupants of the aircraft avoided injuries.
This story will be updated.
- $1,200 direct payments: Americans blame both parties for stimulus check stalemate
- US citizen kidnapped in Niger rescued in American military operation
- Last day to vote early in these Tampa Bay area counties
- TV news anchor gunned down in Downtown Juarez
- Is Trump or Biden winning? 5 clues from early voting