VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) — Two men escaped injuries when their airplane became fully engulfed while sitting on the Venice Airport runway Sunday afternoon.
According to a spokesperson for the city of Venice, both men were aboard a Piper PA-32 Cherokee 6 on runway five at the Venice Municipal Airport around 1 p.m. Before takeoff, the pilot smelled smoke and directed the two of them out of the plane.
The six-seater plane became fully engulfed in flames shortly afterward, and multiple rescue crews responded to the scene.
Both occupants of the aircraft avoided injuries.
This story will be updated.
- Body found at abandoned Tampa home ruled a homicide, investigators say
- Clearwater lifeguards keep close eye on currents, issue red flags along beach
- ‘I will kill people’: 12-year-old Florida student threatens mass shooting
- Pied Piper’s Haunted Carnival to kick off at Armature Works
- Chipotle drive-thru? 3 Tampa Bay restaurants opening with pick-up lanes