VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) — Two men escaped injuries when their airplane became fully engulfed while sitting on the Venice Airport runway Sunday afternoon.
According to a spokesperson for the city of Venice, both men were aboard a Piper PA-32 Cherokee 6 on runway five at the Venice Municipal Airport around 1 p.m. Before takeoff, the pilot smelled smoke and directed the two of them out of the plane.
The six-seater plane became fully engulfed in flames shortly afterward, and multiple rescue crews responded to the scene.
Both occupants of the aircraft avoided injuries.
This story will be updated.
- Accused pedophile tried to burn down Pasco home after raping 8-year-old, deputies say
- Massachusetts lawmakers consider allowing 16-year-olds to vote
- Hillsborough School Board conducts final interviews for superintendent
- Burglar caught on camera robbing home for 12 hours, homeowner says
- Police: Mom confesses to killing her 3 young children