BRADENTON, Fla. (WFLA) – A suspect is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Bradenton, authorities said.
The Manatee County Sheriff’s Office said the shooting happened in the area of Cape Vista Drive and Cortez Road West a little after 12:30 a.m.
According to deputies, Justin Stackhouse was driving a vehicle that had heavy front end damage and a shredded front tire. Deputies tried to pull him over, but he drove to a Walmart parking lot and the vehicle got stuck on a curb.
Deputies said Stackhouse started driving in reverse toward a deputy, so the deputy fired several rounds at the car.
Then Stackhouse headed out of the parking lot and started driving the wrong way on Cortez Road. His vehicle got stuck on another curb after he tried to re-enter the parking lot, deputies said.
Deputies approached the vehicle and noticed Stackhouse had suffered multiple gunshot wounds. He was rushed to Blake Medical Center, where he later died.
The Manatee County Sheriff’s Office and internal affairs detectives are conducting separate investigations into the incident.
Further information was not immediately available.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- How coronavirus can impact your credit score
- Nurses union protests shortage of protective gear at HCA hospitals
- Stopping the spread: Hillsborough Co. to open 2 hotels to help those impacted by coronavirus
- Coronavirus: U.S. death toll tops 5,000
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Sunny and pleasant days ahead