BRADENTON, Fla. (WFLA) – An Ellenton Vietnam veteran who lost his legs a year ago is making good on a promise he made to his wife.
73-year-old Tom Simmons promised his wife, Cathy, he’d be walking just in time for his wife’s birthday, their wedding anniversary, and the one year anniversary of the accident.
On Wednesday, Cathy shared a video with News Channel 8 showing Tom walking the length of a hallway at Bradenton Health Care with just the help of his walker.
Meanwhile, a last-minute plea deal canceled Johnny Durrance’s trial which was scheduled for Nov. 25. Investigators say Durrance crashed his car into Simmons who was standing behind his landscaping truck at the time, which caused him to be pinned between the two vehicles.
Durrance will be sentenced in January for driving on a revoked license when he caused that crash.
- Leigh’s runcast: Steamy days make it harder to keep your body at a safe temp
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: High humidity and above average temps
- ‘Olympic athletes are dying:’ Doc sheds light on suicide among Olympians
- Meadows 2 hits in return from coronavirus, Rays top Red Sox 5-1
- Missouri mayor defends concerts, parties during COVID-19 pandemic