TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – An alligator crossing a road in Manatee County caused an accident that killed a Myakka City man Thursday night, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
The fatal crash happened on State Road 70, just east of Lowe Avenue around 10:41 p.m.
The reptile was crossing State Road 70 when it traveled into the path of a sedan with two passengers inside. The driver swerved to avoid the gator, and lost control of the vehicle, which traveled into a ditch and collided with a tree.
A 23-year-old man inside of the vehicle was killed, and the driver, a 20-year-old Bradenton man, suffered minor inujuries.
Troopers said the crash remains under investigation.
- St. Petersburg museum on mission to improve Holocaust education statewide
- Couple accused of having sex on Myrtle Beach Ferris wheel and in community pool to make porn videos arrested again
- Three victims in fiery Hudson crash remembered
- Dog rescued after being spotted running in northbound lanes of I-275
- Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino to resign, effective Friday