TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – An alligator crossing a road in Manatee County caused an accident that killed a Myakka City man Thursday night, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
The fatal crash happened on State Road 70, just east of Lowe Avenue around 10:41 p.m.
The reptile was crossing State Road 70 when it traveled into the path of a sedan with two passengers inside. The driver swerved to avoid the gator, and lost control of the vehicle, which traveled into a ditch and collided with a tree.
A 23-year-old man inside of the vehicle was killed, and the driver, a 20-year-old Bradenton man, suffered minor inujuries.
Troopers said the crash remains under investigation.
- ‘They were waiting for him’: Man acquitted of murder is shot hours after his release from jail
- Lightning one win away from Stanley Cup title after overtime win
- Oklahoma mom warns of the dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after her son dies after a day on the lake
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Warm and humid weekend with scattered PM storms
- Friday Night Blitz: Largo Packers vs Palmetto Tigers