LUTZ, Fla. (WFLA) – Charley Barr of Lutz flew 24 bombing missions over Germany during World War II.
He was a navigator aboard a B-24 Liberator, guiding his long-range bomber deep into enemy territory then back to England.
As the war was winding down in 1945, Charley – now 95 – remembers a German jet, buzzing his formation of bombers.
He recalls heavy flak from Nazi anti-aircraft guns. His plane even took a hit.
Tonight at 6 on News Channel 8, Charley shares his most terrifying moment and the one sight that still stirs emotion.
LATEST VETERANS VOICES NEWS:
- Veteran adjusts to life with PTSD with the help of a well-trained pup
- Virginia Veteran has winning encounter with Prince Harry at Invictus Games, and the picture to prove it
- Army veteran, former high school athlete coaches perseverance
- Veterans Voices: Navy sailor creates nonprofit to bring joy to active duty service members
- Not ‘I’ but ‘we’: The key to victory for one World War II veteran