LUTZ, Fla. (WFLA) – Charley Barr of Lutz flew 24 bombing missions over Germany during World War II.
He was a navigator aboard a B-24 Liberator, guiding his long-range bomber deep into enemy territory then back to England.
As the war was winding down in 1945, Charley – now 95 – remembers a German jet, buzzing his formation of bombers.
He recalls heavy flak from Nazi anti-aircraft guns. His plane even took a hit.
Tonight at 6 on News Channel 8, Charley shares his most terrifying moment and the one sight that still stirs emotion.
LATEST VETERANS VOICES NEWS:
- After 8-year struggle for benefits, VA tells Hudson veteran there’s no end in sight to his wait
- Senate approves expanding list of illnesses tied to Agent Orange
- Veterans sue VA to force benefits and coverage for herbicide exposure
- Veteran’s win leaves glimmer of hope for others who served in Thailand
- Veterans showcasing art while healing in St. Petersburg