LUTZ, Fla. (WFLA) – Charley Barr of Lutz flew 24 bombing missions over Germany during World War II.
He was a navigator aboard a B-24 Liberator, guiding his long-range bomber deep into enemy territory then back to England.
As the war was winding down in 1945, Charley – now 95 – remembers a German jet, buzzing his formation of bombers.
He recalls heavy flak from Nazi anti-aircraft guns. His plane even took a hit.
Tonight at 6 on News Channel 8, Charley shares his most terrifying moment and the one sight that still stirs emotion.
LATEST VETERANS VOICES NEWS:
- Sen. Scott sides with Green Beret denied justice after 8 On Your Side investigation
- WWII navigator from Lutz recalls frightening moments on B-24 bomber
- Lutz veteran recalls mission as B-24 navigator: Bomb enemy, survive to fight another day
- Green Beret with cancer wants gov’t held accountable, seeks support from veterans groups
- Final ‘Honor Flight’ of the year lands at St. Pete–Clearwater International Airport