TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Doctors warn the flu vaccine is the best defense against getting the flu, but also say building up your immune system is also extremely helpful. That starts with sidelining the junk food and eating lots of fruits and vegetables.
“Those are just packed with vitamins and minerals and help our entire bodies function better – which helps our immune system function better and right now we need that so badly,” said registered dietitian Abigail Dougherty.
Since so many grocery stores offer pre-cut packaged fresh fruits and veggies they are easy to prepare.
“It doesn’t have to be in the oven, it can be in the microwave, anyway that you and our family will eat those vegetables and those fresher and healthier foods that’s the best way to do it,” said Dougherty.
Other ways to keep your immune system strong and healthy naturally.:
- Don’t smoke.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get adequate sleep.
- If you don’t think you are getting your nutrients from eating foods, a daily multi-vitamin could help.
Check out these other helpful Life Hacks-
- Life Hacks: Best ways to keep your cell phone germ free
- Life Hacks: How to get your pet to do what you want
- Life Hacks: How to organize your vehicle like a pro
- Life Hacks: Household items can fix makeup emergencies
- Life Hacks: Farmhouse wall art for under $10
- Life Hacks: Easy ways to stay hydrated and get a good night’s sleep
- Life Hacks: Easy cleaning tricks for your home
- Life Hacks: Selling your stuff to get extra cash
- Life Hacks: Boosting your immunity to prevent the flu
MORE FLU STORIES:
- Tampa Bay area #6 on national influenza hot spot list
- You could get the flu more than once this year
- What’s Going Around? The illnesses impacting Tampa Bay area schools: Jan. 29 to Feb. 2
- Experts: The one flu symptom you shouldn’t ignore
- ‘A cesspool of funky flu’: Florida ER nurse goes on epic rant about flu season
- Florida Weekly Flu Report: Flu activity increases sharply, deaths expected to rise
- Fighting the flu: 5 natural ways to boost immunity
- Doctors warn patients to seek medical attention quickly as flu kills young, otherwise healthy people
- Boy, 8, battling brain infection caused by the flu