HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) - A school resource officer is hailed a hero after he saved a student from choking.
Tuesday afternoon, students rushed to grab help when their classmate, Andrew Seifert, started choking in the cafeteria at West Hernando Middle School.
"I went to go swallow my food and it got stuck in my throat and that's when I started to choke," said Seifert.
School resource officer, Deputy Shane Landgraff, was only a few feet away.
"I was able to speak with him. He did tell me at first that yes, he was choking and he couldn't breathe," said Deputy Landgraff.
Seifert was eating his lunch, nachos, when a piece became lodged in this throat.
"I did notice that he was starting to get more and more under stress. I gave him the three back blows," said Deputy Landgraff.
That freed up Seifert's airways.
"He started spitting up a little bit and I could tell at that point the food became a little dislodged," the deputy said.
Deputy Landgraff, who has worked at the school for 13 years, said he's never had a student choke on him.
"I hadn't done that before. Had a student choke to that extent before," he said.
Seifert's father, Darin, is just grateful Deputy Landgraff was nearby.
"The police are real important. That's what they're here to do. I have faith in their training and I'm glad he was here," he said.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Dropped off far from home by bus driver, Tampa girl runs home terrified, crying
- Wanted:The owner of prosthetic ear found in Holmes Beach
- Man caught at JFK smuggling 34 finches in hair curlers
- Binge-watching may lead to increased risk of blood clots, research says