HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Hernando County firefighters helped extinguish a home that was set on fire after a cigarette had fallen and ignited the ground.
According to Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services, they received a 911 call for a residential fire to a carport and underneath a double-wide home located at 8078 Eastern Circle Drive.
When they arrived, HCFES said they found smoke coming from the back of the home and flames underneath the home. The family had evacuated the home before officials arrived.
HCFES says the family tried putting out the fire themselves with water from a garden hose but did not succeed.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire, however, there was extensive damage to the underside of the home and inside of the wall. The fire burned up from underneath and into the insulation between the wall layers.
Because of the smoke damage and damage to the home, the family will be assisted by the Red Cross.
Two family members had mild smoke inhalation but refused any medical treatment.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- President Trump to visit Central Florida for campaign event on Friday
- LIVE: City of Tampa lights up purple, gold to honor Gold Star families
- Video shows man pull pistol at St. Petersburg protest, police investigating
- Grandma dubbed ‘Zoom Karen’ goes viral after interrupting virtual class to blast BLM, Obama
- Report: Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2016, 2017