HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Hernando County deputies are investigating after human bones were found along the Good Neighbor Trail in Brooksville.
Deputies say a bicyclist was riding on the trail on Oct. 26 around 2 p.m. when he found what he believed to be human skeletal remains.
The bicyclist said he was riding along the trail when he decided to stop to use the bathroom, according to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office. He said he walked about 30 yards into a wooded area where he found the bones.
With the help of the witness, deputies eventually found the skeletal remains the next day.
Deputies say the medical examiner’s office, detectives, forensic technicians, and the Pasco County K-9 Cadaver Team responded to the scene to conduct a more thorough search of the area.
HCSO said various human bones were collected from the scene by the medical examiner’s office. The collected bones were taken to their facility in Leesburg for further testing in hopes of determining an identity and possible cause of death.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Democrats gain Senate control as VP Harris swears in new members
- Emotions ran high as Polk State College students soaked in President Biden’s inauguration
- Joe Biden, Al Roker meet along inaugural parade route for second time
- Read the full transcript: President Joe Biden’s full inaugural address
- Highlands Co. firefighters rescue worker caught in underground sewer grinder