TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – The Coast Guard helped rescue five people on a boat taking on water near the Tampa Bay Skyway Bridge this afternoon.
A Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg 45-foot response boat crew arrived on the scene and helped dewater the 25-foot boat and escorted the people back to EG Simmons Regional Park in Tampa.
The Coast Guard said they received a distress call around 11 a.m. saying the boat was flooding in the stern, which was caused by a cracked transom.
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Finally tracking a cold front
- ‘Taco Tuesday’ Taco Bell plans to feed America this Tuesday
- Parents, neighbors surprise 8-year-old boy with non-traditional birthday celebration in St. Pete
- Pizzeria borrows to keep workers on job, spurs meal donations to medical workers, first responders
- Deputies: Tampa Bay church violates social distancing guidelines