CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – An Land O’ Lakes man has been charged in the deaths of three South Florida women.
The Florida Highway Patrol says 53-year-old Phillip Sawhill tried to pass another vehicle in a no-passing zone and struck the vehicle head-on back on Christmas Eve 2019.
Troopers say Sawhill was driving a Toyota SUV when he entered the southbound lane to pass and collided head-on with an oncoming Kia sedan.
The Kia’s driver and two passengers were three women from South Florida identified as 62-year-old Amalia Gomara, 86-year-old Clara Gorrin, and 85-year-old Nilda Cordovi. All three women inside the sedan died at the scene.
Sawhill’s SUV came to a rest in the middle of the roadway and caught fire. He survived, but suffered serious injuries.
Sawhill is now facing three counts of vehicular homicide.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Woman asks for love stories, plans to give away old wedding rings after divorce
- Chocolate recalled after plastic found in products
- Tampa Bay parents concerned after state education leaders send out student performance letters
- Powerball jackpot grows to $730M; Mega Millions to be $850M
- Florida coronavirus: Over 1 million COVID-19 vaccinations administered in the state