CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A 3-year-old girl was killed and three other children were seriously injured after a mother crashed a car while drinking and driving in Citrus County Sunday morning, officials said.
The crash occurred Sunday around 1:36 a.m.
The Florida Highway Patrol said a 25-year-old female driver from Beverly Hills was driving a “sports utility vehicle” with five passengers — a 40-year-old man, 15-year-old girl, 16-year-old boy, 16-year-old girl, and 3-year-old girl.
As the car was traveling along North Jill Avenue, the woman failed to follow the curve of the roadway near West Cave Court and crashed head-on into a tree.
The crash killed the 3-year-old child, who FHP said was not wearing a restraint. The 15-year-old girl was the only one in the vehicle wearing a seatbelt, FHP said.
The three surviving children all suffered serious injuries.
Authorities determined that the driver and mother of the 3-year-old child, Shelby Gabrielle Collazo, was drunk when driving. She has been charged with DUI manslaughter and four courts of child neglect. She was transported to the Citrus County Jail.
- FDA updates nutrition labels for packaged foods, drinks for 1st time in 2 decades
- ‘We are in crisis mode’ Orange County Mayor Demings urges vaccinations as virus cases surge
- Bucs training camp Day 2 kicks off with season ticket holders
- Final Surfside collapse victim identified by family; death toll now at 98
- California to require proof of vaccination for state workers