TAMPA (WFLA) — The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an ATM explosion that occurred early Sunday morning at a bank on Linebaugh Avenue they say is similar to one in Oldsmar last month.
Deputies said a man spray painted outside video surveillance cameras at the Pilot Bank around 3:11 a.m. A little over an hour later, the ATM exploded.
After all of that, the sheriff’s office said the man was unable to access the ATM’s internal safe and take any money.
Public Information Officer Amanda Granit with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office says the crimes do share similar characteristics.
“We do have pictures of this guy. He messed up. He tried to spray paint some of the cameras to conceal his identity, but we were able to get some pictures. So we’re hoping that even if you can’t see his face very well, that someone will recognize his stature, the way he’s standing,” Granit said.
The sheriff’s office said this incident is similar to the one that occurred Nov. 4 at the BB&T Bank in Oldsmar. The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating that incident.
- Amber Alert issued for missing Florida newborn
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Rain chances increase late today and tonight
- Lawmakers disagree on how to give parents work-life balance
- Tampa water main break could slow down traffic on Wednesday morning
- ‘He gave his life to the Lord:’ Kobe Bryant prayed at church hours before his death