CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — All three women inside a Kia sedan died on County Road 581 Tuesday when an SUV driving the opposite direction tried to pass cars in front of it and struck the sedan head-on.
The three killed in the crash were driver Amalia Gomara, 62, Clara Gorrin, 86, and Nilda Cordovi, 85. Gomara and Gorrin were from Hialeah, Florida. Cordovi was from Pembroke Pines.
According to FHP, the driver in a Toyota SUV was traveling north on CR-581 near East Amy Lane around 1 p.m. and tried to pass traffic in front of it in a no-passing zone. The driver entered the southbound lane to pass and collided head-on with the Kia sedan.
The SUV came to a rest in the middle of the roadway and caught fire. The driver survived, but suffered serious injuries. The sedan rotated to a final rest along the shoulder of the road. All three women inside the sedan died at the scene.
- No Winter Allowed: Football fans soaking up South Beach sun ahead of Super Bowl
- Reddick Elementary School Pledge of Allegiance
- Garoppolo takes lessons from Brady into 1st Super Bowl start
- Extra security at Fivay High School after teacher brings gun on campus
- Family searching for mystery man who gifted 11-year-old with Mahomes jersey at Arrowhead