CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — All three women inside a Kia sedan died on County Road 581 Tuesday when an SUV driving the opposite direction tried to pass cars in front of it and struck the sedan head-on.
The three killed in the crash were driver Amalia Gomara, 62, Clara Gorrin, 86, and Nilda Cordovi, 85. Gomara and Gorrin were from Hialeah, Florida. Cordovi was from Pembroke Pines.
According to FHP, the driver in a Toyota SUV was traveling north on CR-581 near East Amy Lane around 1 p.m. and tried to pass traffic in front of it in a no-passing zone. The driver entered the southbound lane to pass and collided head-on with the Kia sedan.
The SUV came to a rest in the middle of the roadway and caught fire. The driver survived, but suffered serious injuries. The sedan rotated to a final rest along the shoulder of the road. All three women inside the sedan died at the scene.
- WATCH: California officer’s bodycam video shows harrowing rescue of woman from burning car
- Iran, Russia meddling in US elections: What you need to know
- Starlink mission launch planned for Thursday afternoon
- Obama denounces Trump on campaign trail: ‘This is not a reality show’
- Coronavirus vaccine: When will it be ready and will it be safe?