POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Two Polk County teenagers were killed in a motorcycle crash Friday night in Davenport.
Gian Rivera-Ortiz, 17, was driving his Yamaha 450 motorcycle around 9:23 p.m. with 17-year-old Davenport resident Steven Pagan-Arriaga on the back. They were traveling east on Ernie Caldwell Boulevard in Davenport.
According to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, the bike was speeding when Rivera-Ortiz attempted to turn a corner. Deputies said Rivera-Ortiz lost control of the motorcycle and the front tire hit a concrete curb, causing the bike to slide 62 feet before crashing into a utility pole.
Both riders were ejected from the motorcycle. Rivera-Ortiz, who was wearing a helmet and eye protection, was pronounced dead at the scene. Pagan-Arriaga, who was not wearing any safety equipment, died at the hospital.
The investigation into the crash remains active.
- New Jersey adds ‘X’ gender option on driver’s licenses and IDs
- Elephants kill suspected poacher at South African national park
- Hillsborough County School district lays off 92 teachers through email
- Mosaic seeks expansion of gypsum stack at location of enormous sinkhole
- Super Bowl champs share stories of being spotted by fans following Super Bowl victory