TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Tampa Bay Rays Manager Kevin Cash has been named the American League Manager of the Year after leading his team to the World Series this year.
Cash faced heavy criticism for his decision to pull pitcher Blake Snell in the midst of a stellar performance in Game 6. The Rays eventually lost the game to the Los Angeles Dodgers, which cost them the series.
The award was announced Tuesday evening. Cash beat the two other finalists – former White Sox Manager Rick Renteria and Toronto Blue Jays Manager Charlie Montoyo.
Cash was also a finalist for the 2019 American League Manager of the Year but lost to former Tampa Bay Rays player Rocco Baldelli.
LATEST RAYS NEWS:
- Rays plan to have limited number of fans at 2021 home games
- Rays acquire four minor leaguers from Padres for Blake Snell
- Rays ace Blake Snell heading to San Diego Padres, reports say
- Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow used photo of ‘Pharma Bro’ to get angry before games
- Rays sign pitcher Michael Wacha to $3 million, 1-year deal