JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities in Florida say a 12-year-old girl is in critical condition after she was shot in the head during a sleepover for a friend’s birthday.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office say the girl was sleeping on a couch when the shooting occurred around 2 a.m. Sunday. Investigators tell First Coast News that the homeowner’s 11-year-old nephew who suffers from a mental illness shot the gun. He is under a 72-hour mental evaluation.On Monday, First Coast News reported that the girl is hospitalized in critical condition.
Officials say the bullet grazed the child, went through the couch and the living room wall.
The homeowner told investigators the shooting was an accident. About eight children were at the home for a birthday party.STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Florida Blue customers report problems with auto payment system
- Tampa Bay area lands spot on ‘Top 50 Mosquito Cities’ list
- Jimmy John’s selling $1 subs on Tuesday
- Meet Tajiri! Zoo announces name of April the giraffe’s baby
- 8 On Your Side: Do chip credit cards really prevent fraud?
- More students using stimulant drugs for studies, Tampa group looks to combat problem on campus
- Historic cruise from Tampa to Cuba sets sail Sunday