UK (CNN) — The British World War Two veteran who raised $40 million for the National Health Service has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth.
Captain Tom Moore walked in his garden to raise the money as a challenge for his 100th birthday.
Ahead of the event, Capt. Moore said he was “absolutely overwhelmed” about meeting her, and worried that if he knelt down, he might never get up again. Luckily, he was able to stand as the queen performed the special ceremony.
The queen made her first public appearance in months for the special occasion.
- Earth Week: Saving water saves planet – and money, Tampa Bay conservationist says
- Queen Elizabeth marking 95th birthday in low-key fashion
- Super League collapses after 6 English clubs withdraw, including Glazer-owned Manchester United
- Jury reaches swift verdict for Derek Chauvin in George Floyd death: Guilty
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Decreasing clouds and humidity today