TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Between now and the end of the year, garbage and trash companies all over Tampa Bay anticipate taking in tons of holiday refuse.
So to help people dispose of some of the things they don’t want, Waste Management in Tampa offers these tips to help you separate the holiday good stuff from the junk.
Christmas lights are considered electronic waste, so you do not want to put them in your curbside recycling bin. You should contact your city or county to find out where you can dispose of electronics.
If you are going to dispose of your Christmas tree at your curb, it’s important that you remove all of the decorations, from the lights to the tinsel.
One thing not to recycle is ribbons and bows and some types of wrapping paper because they can tangle and will more than likely jam waste management machines.
Waste Management Recycle Tampa’s recycling educator Melissa Baldwin says, “When in doubt throw it out.”
She also says you should look closely at what items are made of, because some items should not be recycled.
“Some packaging is co-mingling that means it has paper and plastic combined. Those items should not be put in your recycling bin.”
For more information on recycling this holiday season visit Florida Recycles MORE TOP STORIES:
- Florida man gets 3 life sentences plus 495 years for toddler rape
- Homeless man freezes to death after being turned away from housing center
- Tax Bill: What it means for you
- Model faces second leg amputation due to toxic shock syndrome
- Tampa attorney busted with pants down during sex act with Pinellas inmate, sheriff says
- Woman, 26, gives birth to baby who spent 24 years as frozen embryo